Thursday, July 23, 2009

Nail Care



I am a very lazy person, that would so be my sin, sloth. Yep...So I don't really take great care of myself, I mean I don't smell bad or don't brush my teeth. I just don't like to take the time to eat or so the extra things like facials and stuff. They take forever and its a really big hassle (for me anyway, so people enjoy doing things like that but I would rather spend my time reading...I know total nerd, boo hoo).

But my nails are really starting to bother me, and well I am older now...a little and appearances mean a lot more now then when I was a little kid. So I did a little bit of nail care research...

Your nails are made of keratin, a hard protein that helps in protecting the ends of our little fingers and toes. Nails grow at a rate of 3mm/month and your nails condition can be used as a diagnostic tool.

Things nails need:

-Water, they like your skin also get dehydrated! When dehydrated nails tend to be weak, splitting, and fragile

-Vitamin B, when it is low it makes your nails fragile and brittle

-Essential fatty acids, such as Omega 3 makes your nails stronger.

-Zinc, low intake causes white spots. It helps with the absorption of minerals and enzymes.

-Calcium, your nails contain it so you need it, but OD on it and it can give you white calcium deposits on your nails.

-Vitamin H/Biotin, is needed for cell growth and production of fatty acids. Strengthens your nails and the ends don't split.

-Vitamin A, low intake will cause dry and brittle nails. It also helps in processing protein.

-Vitamin C, low intake causes hangnail/agnail which is a torn piece of skin near the fingernail or toenail. (I get these a lot)

-Vitamin D, helps with calcium absorption.

-Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin that protects vitamin A and essential fatty acids from oxidation and prevents the breakdown of body tissues. However vitamin E molecules are too large to inter the surface layer of the skin or the nail. However when combined with jojoba which has a tiny molecular structure, it can enter the nails and draw the vitamin E into the nail and skin.

-Jojoba, its oil is great for moisturizing the skin and nails.

And tips...?

Eating habits are very important for healthy nails. Drink lots of water, eat healthy, avoid alcohol, saturated fats and fried foods, etc...Also keep your nails short and don't cut your cuticles.

Smoking, hair dyes and tints can discolor nails. Healthy nails should be pink to dark red.

Artificial nails can cause an allergy reaction, destroy your nail underneath, and the chemicals and glue used may be dangerous to your body when it is absorbed through the damaged nail and nail bed. Also it can contribute to the development of fungal infection.

A lot of people like to keep their nails long for fashion, however short nails are healthier. If your nails are long then they can be used to carry germs and bacteria which can harm our bodies. Also keeping your nails short can keep your nails out of harms way. Since nails are used as a counter force when we touch things if they are longer and "hit" something it can hurt a lot.

Try not to color your nails, chemicals in it can harm your nails. Nevertheless as a fellow female I understand that it is more fashionable. Therefore if you do color your nails be careful with the frequency you use your nail polish remover because it takes out all the oils off your nail. Moisturize your nails after you remove the nail polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment